Tourism PEI is a provincial crown corporation and resides within the PEI Department of Fisheries, Tourism, Sport and Culture. A board of directors, with representatives of regional and private-sector tourism, governs the organization.
The Tourism PEI mandate is to champion the tourism industry and market Prince Edward Island as a premiere tourist destination by:
- promoting continued growth in the tourism sector and ultimately “driving” tourism demand;
- working with partners, including Destination Canada, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) and other Atlantic Provinces;
- actively facilitating the development of festivals, events, and activities that serve to motivate travellers to visit PEI;
- managing provincial tourism infrastructure, such as golf courses, parks, visitor information centres and the Confederation Trail;
- conducting tourism-related research; and
- administering and enforcing the provisions of the Tourism Industry Act and regulations, in particular, the licensing of tourism establishments.